An actor's plight in New York City

Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Believe the Children are the (my) Future

It has all become amazingly clear: I need to be in children's television.

I was on the phone, talking to a somewhat boring person, when I started watching tv on mute. I was flipping channels and stopped on Nickelodeon. Watching iCarly, even without sound, seemed so zany and so energetic and so fun that I was compelled to watch more (not muted). It started accidentally, but I am now an avid watcher and (dare I say) fan of iCarly!

I've known for a while now that my ultimate dream job would be landing a steady gig on a sitcom. I love comedy, I love fun, I love hilarious misunderstandings, I love ridiculous circumstances, and I love wrapping up all my zany problems in a tight little 22 minute package. Give me some Three's Company or Perfect Strangers or Laverne and Shirley! I can only imagine that working on a Nickelodeon or Disney Channel show is like working on a prime-time network sitcom on crack!

In a modern age where sitcoms are finally making a resurgence, albeit in unconventional revamped ways, in children's television my beloved and nostalgic multi-cam traditional formula is doing just fine. In children's television the situations are allowed to be even kookier and characters are even farther over the top than in primetime tv, especially the adults. Kids are the boss in these shows, adults are just around for comic relief. Underlying in most children's programming is storytelling with an enormous amount of heart. There is a purity, wholesomeness, and hopefulness to it that is amazingly satisfying. As obnoxious as The Suite Life on Deck may initially seem, how terribly Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus' acting skills are, and as loud and yell-y as iCarly is, there is something that makes a bazillion kids and this full grown adult watch again and again.

Dan Schneider, call me!

No comments:

Post a Comment