An actor's plight in New York City

Saturday, December 4, 2010

NYU. Shoot.

Why the hell did I not go to college in New York?

I just did a shoot in the television studio at NYU and the whole operation was very impressive. The studio is a forreal forreal multi-cam television studio and the whole class is the crew for the student who is directing each particular project. The teacher pops in and out but these kids really know what they’re doing! Like, the script I got was actually funny!

I didn’t know what the hell I was doing in undergrad. I’m so jealous of these NYU kids that got started on this stuff back in middle school and high school and knew that they wanted to go to college to study it even more. Everyone has their own path and their own timeline, but NYU looks like so much fun and I totally missed out. My undergraduate education was valuable, certainly, but more broad and therefore way less focused. Maybe in the long run that’s a good thing: being well rounded, but at this point in my career I wish I had a whole pack of college buddies that I could be working with now! When I was applying to college I was scared shitless of New York City, and kind of in complete denial that the college admissions process was happening to boot. I probably wasn’t ready…sigh…I wish I could go to undergrad NOW. I guess I could but I don’t want to be the creepy old lady hanging onto 20 year olds. There’s grad school but that seems too serious. I’m probably way better off sticking with my classes at UCB and bullshit. Meh.

Oh, and I need to spend a minute talking about how awesome it is to audition for something and GET IT! I feel like it’s been a really friggin’ long time since this has happened for me. When I read this script prior to the audition I knew the part was a good fit (which is major considering some of the garbage I’ve gone out for). The audition went well but I didn’t leave the room sure I nailed it. I have no idea how many people auditioned, but I’m pretty sure I beat out at least one or two other people! I had forgotten how amazing it feels to show up at a rehearsal for a director that chose to work with you. Then, being the neurotic human being that I am, I started stressing about doing a good job so he wouldn’t regret his choice! I guess that kind of thing keeps you on your A-game but my poor little shriveled up self-esteem…it probably gets better with experience. Just like auditioning, I have to assume the more times you’re on set filming the better you get. This whole thing got me all hot and bothered to audition more and to beat all those gaggles of hags to land roles.

Now I'm off to make extensive collages of cat mascots. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment